Skip over navigation

Informal Child Care Provider

An Informal Child Care Provider:

  • Is an unlicensed, unregistered caregiver who is usually a relative, friend or neighbor
  • Cares for no more than 2 unrelated children in the child´s or caregiver’s home.
  • Is also known as a License-Exempt Provider or a Kith and Kin Provider.

In New York City, there are over 20,000 Informal Child Care Providers who care for children with financial assistance needs. If you are an informal provider, there are multiple resources to help you in your job. Whether you want to become a registered provider, access professional development opportunities (workshops and training), or take the advantage of other supports. Below is a list of resources for informal providers. In addition, the ACS/CUNY Informal Family Child Care Training Project offers a number of valuable services.

Child Care Payments through ACS

If you are receiving payments through ACS and you need help with the payment process, call the ACS information line, (212) 835-7610. Or call the ACS/CUNY Informal Child Care Training Project information line, at (718) 254-7353.

Administering Medication to Children in Your Care

An informal provider may not give medication to any child in his or her care unless:

  • The caregiver has taken the CPR, First Aid and the Medication Administration Training (MAT)
  • After taking the trainings and receiving the certificates, the provider works with a health care consultant who signs off on an approved health care plan
  • The caregiver is providing care to a child who is a biological relative
  • The caregiver provides care for the child in the child’s home

Learn more by downloading the SUNY Training Strategies Group MAT Brochure Adobe Acrobat Icon

Accessing Professional Development Opportunities

Other Supports

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), a meal reimbursement program that pays for meals and snacks served to children in your home, is another way to supplement your payment for the childcare you provide. For more information on the CACFP, call (212) 835-7101 or (212) 835-0163 between the hours of 10 a.m. to 5p.m., Monday through Friday.

Interested in Obtaining Your License?

If you care for at least three children in your home, then you are required to become registered with the New York State Office of Children & Families. (OCFS). Click on Family Day Care Provider or Group Family Day Care Provider for more information.