Special Education Administrator/Supervisor
The Special Education Administrator oversees special education programs in school districts to assure high quality services. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that special education programs comply with federal, state, and local laws.
- Setting educational standards and goals for special education programs.
- Implementing policies and procedures for special education teachers and staff who are part of the program.
- Providing parents with regular reports on their child’s progress.
- Reviewing and evaluating special education programs.
- Writing grants and preparing budgets.
- Responding to legislative questions and concerns.
- Mediating disputes between parents and schools.
Setting: Public and Private Schools
Master’s or Doctorate in School Supervision and Administration or Appropriate Field
New York State School Administration and Supervision (SAS) Certification orSchool District Administrator (SDA) Certification
Certification in Special Education
Ongoing Training/Professional Development
- Determined by the New Requirements for Special Education Programs and Services stipulated in IDEA and that call for:
- A professional development plan created and implemented by the Board of Education (BOE) and the Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) that assures that all professional staff and school personnel who work with students with disabilities have the skills and knowledge necessary to meet the needs of these students.
- Professional Development Services may be provided by:
- Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES)
- Special Education Training and Resource Centers (SETRC)
- Office of Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID) - Special Education Quality Assurance
- Other community school district resources
- Administrative/supervisory work experience in New York City must be verified by the Director of Supervisory staffing at:
- 65 Court Street
- 65 Court Street
- A New York City License is necessary when applying for any NYC public school position. More information on NYC Licensing
- Get additional information on the Early Childhood Special Education Certificate and Certification for Administrators at the Office of Teaching Initatives