Skip over navigation

Speech and Language Pathologists

Speech and Language Pathologists working in Early Childhood Special Education settings provide speech language therapy services to children with or at risk of disabilities to promote speech language development in the following ways:

  • Diagnose and screen speech and language disorders in young children
  • Provide treatment and therapy of disorders such as developmental speech and language delays, dysphasia, phonological defects, swallowing disorders and others
  • Assist in the development of IFSP/IEP goals and objectives and provide intervention services accordingly
    • Participate in IFSP/IEP team meetings to suggest appropriate activities
  • Offer assessment and consulting to other IFSP/IEP team members
  • Monitor children’s progress and adjust interventions needed
  • Teach parents, teachers and other caregivers techniques and strategies that stimulate speech and language development
Academic and Experience Requirements for Speech and language Pathologists

Master’s Degree in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology
9 Months of Supervised Clinical Experience in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology After Obtaining the Master’s Degree
NYS Speech-Language Pathologist License
A Minimum of 2 Years Experience Serving Infants and Toddlers With, or at Risk of, Developmental Delay or Disability


  • To obtain the NYS Speech and Language Pathologist License, Professionals must pass the Praxis Series Specialty Area Test in Speech and Language Pathology from The Educational Testing Service (ETS). Get More Information
  • Verify a NYS licensure