Early Childhood Educational Director
Date Posted: 05/21/2019
Salary / Wage:
Location: Queens, New York
Job Type: Other
About Hour Children: Hour Children’s mission is to help incarcerated and formerly incarceratedwomen and their children successfully rejoin the community, reunify with their families, and build healthy, independent, and secure lives. To accomplish this, Hour Children provides compassionate and comprehensive services and encourages all to live and interact with dignity and respect.Hour Early Learning Program aims to provide an affordable, high quality,highly stimulating environment for children who range in age from infancy to 4 years. The program accommodates families from Hour Children, as well as the local community. Our current license allows for 30 children. Hour Children is committed to developing the potential of this essential resource, with the expectation of meaningful program growth (in enrollment and space) over the next 2-4 years.
Description of the job: The Early Childhood Educational Director will be responsible for visioning, developing and implementing all aspects of a robust early childhood education program that focuses on the social and emotional wellbeing and growth of enrolled children. The Director will be the on-site leader of the program and will have responsibility for hiring, training and supervising teachers, providing ongoing professional development opportunities, modeling behaviors, creating a welcoming and purposeful environment, and actively engaging and inspiring parents.The Director work in collaboration with Hour Children’s other programs and resources, especially the mental health team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of Hour Early Learning Program, including:
- The recommendation, development and implementation of an over-arching program philosophy
- The creation and maintenance of a purposeful and engaging program setting.
- The development of an suitable structure and day-to-day schedule. The planning of appropriate activities and enrichment
- Collaborating with the teaching team to monitor and confirm the social, emotional and developmental progress of each child.
- Providing access to, and guidance with, supplemental programs and services as needs arise.
- Recruit, hire, schedule, train and supervise teaching team capable of educating children from birth to four years old.
- Support efforts to maximize enrollment
- Track enrollment and manage capacity and yield.
- Oversee necessary administrative functions including tuition collection and DOH licensing and CACFP contract requirements.
- Build partnerships with community-based early Intervention agencies responsible for children’s development evaluations.
- Refer children for EI evaluation and help parents understand and go through the evaluation process.
- Keep abreast of current knowledge and research in the field of Early Childhood Education and organize and plan staff developmentopportunities (both individual and group).
Specifications for Education:
- Masters in ECE or related field
- NYS Teacher Certification or in process of achieving
- Certification in Infant/Child CPR and First Aid
Specifications for Experience and Training:
- 5 years of previous early childhood experience, at least 3 years in a leadership role.
- Experience with vulnerable populations is not required, but a plus.
- Ability to relate positively to young children, parents, and staff.
- Demonstrated success working as a member of a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skill.
- Maintain all required training and physicals as mandated by the Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- High level of organization
- Familiarity of legal regulations and standards from DOH and the CACFP Program
Interested applicants can send a cover letter and resume to:
36-11 12th Street
Long Island City, NY 11106