The Assistant Education/Site Director is responsible for the day to day operation of the center. She/he works collaboratively with the Site/Education Director and Family and Community Partnership Coordinator in reaching site's enrollment, implementing the agency approved curriculum and ensuring the maximum development of each child's physical, educational, nutritional, and mental needs in a safe and culturally sensitive learning environment.
● In conjunction with the Education/Site Director provide daily direct supervision to all Education staff
● Use instructional leadership techniques that improve teacher practice and teacher engagement with students
● Monitor the implementation of the curriculum through daily formal/informal classroom observations, monthly supervisory meetings, team meetings and annual evaluations
● Implement changes in instruction through daily and weekly supervision as guided by positive child outcomes
● In partnership with the Education/Site Director, serves as a resource person to all staff in analyzing child outcomes
● Assist teaching staff and families daily in the implementation of the approved curriculum that is consistent and aligned with the Head Start Performance Standards, Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework and New York State Pre-Kindergarten Foundation for the Common Core
● Support teaching staff in meeting quarterly checkpoint deadlines and other requirements
● Monitor and support staff as they follow procedures related to compliance with health and safety and licensing requirements from Department of Health
● Do the daily walk through of health and safety of the building
● In conjunction with the Family Services Coordinator ensure that the program serves the number of eligible children for which it is funded and meet the 10% Federal requirement of special needs children based on their IEP/IFSP
● Utilize current trends and research in Early Childhood Education in meeting curriculum goals and in serving families
● Help promote individualization and small group activities as experiences to broaden children's learning and progress
● In partnership with Family Services Coordinator and Family Workers keep and maintain all records of children and staff in a well secured storage area
● Together with FSC and other supervisors, lead and facilitate a monthly continuing professional development of all staff as part of the commitment to excellence and quality education
● Coordinate with Family Service Coordinator and agency consultants in providing comprehensive services to families
● In coordination with FSC,monitor all incidents and accident reports and implement agency's established procedure of handling cases of suspected or known child abuse or neglect
● Monitor all incident and accident reports
● Attend all regular, special meetings, committee meetings and monthly In-Service trainings
● Together with the Family Service Coordinator, submit accurate monthly reports and statistical data of center activities as per time
● Support child and family wellness through collaboration with FSC, all agency consultants and members of the multi-disciplinary team
● Establish collaboration and partnership with immediate community agencies and other stakeholders
● Transition children to Kindergarten in collaboration with charter/feeder schools, Board of Education and the Committee on Special Education.
New York State Teacher’s Certificate Professional/Initial) Birth - 2 -grade
● Master’s or Bachelor’s degree must be in Early Childhood Education.
● Two years group teacher’s experience plus academic coursework pertinent to the appropriate age levels.
● Knowledge of Head Start Performance standards, EarlyLearn/ACS ECE requirements, DOHMH licensing and DOE UPK.
● Excellent written and oral skills.
OTHER PHYSICAL DEMANDS (Check off the degree of work in terms of strength required)
X Sedentary work: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as dockets, ledgers and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and other sedentary criteria are met.
❏ Light Work: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 lbs. Even though the weight lifted may be only a negligible amount, a job in this category when it involves sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls, or when it requires walking or standing a significant degree.
❏ Heavy Work: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
❏ Very Heavy Work: Lifting objects in excess of 100lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing 50 lbs. or more.